Jun 11, 2011

1958 - Dan Genner aka Excel Cycles Co., Colliers Wood


On Peter Underwoods really fantastic website I´ve found the story about Dan Genner and Excel Cycle Co., Colliers Wood. According to this informations the shop existed between 1910 and 1960 and was listed as a cycle manufacturer at this time at 90, High St. Colliers Wood. There should have been brazed some really reliable frames using Reynolds 531 tubes only.


While searching for components for my Hawkes Path Racer Project I came accross an eBay auction for this lovely Dan Genner frame and couldn´t resist.

Now this british beauty could give me many comfortable rides and has been equipped to may be mainly the original factory standard, as described in historic adverts I´ve found for Excel Cycles Co.


Bottom Braket: Stronglight
Headset: Brampton
Crankset: Stronglight Mod. 49D
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Record, first type
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Record, first type
Shift levers: Campagnolo Record
Brake Lever: Mafac Course 121 with NOS black hoods
Brakes: Mafac Racer
Wheelset: British Hub Company Airlite with original QR and Conley tubular rims/ Campagnolo Record with Mavic tubular rims
Saddle: Brooks Professional
Seatpost: candle type in aluminium
Stem: GB Hiduminium spear point
Handlebar: Binda style
Pedals: Lyotard

Frame tubing: Reynolds 531
Fork tubing: Reynolds 531
















Anybody more familiar with the history of Excel Cycles Co. Ltd./ Dan Genner? Your comments and tipps are highly appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I'm impressed! Very helpful info specially the last part :) I care for such information much. I was seeking this certain information for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.
    Look into my web page ... schwinn stationary bike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own one that I bought in 1947. It was much travelled in my youth, through France over the French Alps into Italy. Arriving in Genoa the weather was punishingly hot (too hot to cycle) so the bike was sent by rail to London Victoria station. After that I hitch hiked to the toe of Italy , across Sicily ,then a boat to Tunis,returning homeward through Algeria. I then went through Morocco and boarded a boat from Tangers to Gibraltar, then San- Sebastian and the train to London. Here I found the bike stored in good condition. Having got the bus from London to Edinburgh, then the train to Fife and home to Burntisland. The bike followed a week later by train (it has not left the shed since 1970). My son now has plans to restore it. I can post a picture of the bike as it is now if you wish. John, from Fife. Now aged 83

    ReplyDelete